Welcome!

My name is Wendy and I am slightly obsessed with all things photography. My goal for 2010 is to take a photo a day and post it here, on this blog. At the end of the year, I should have a pretty good idea what 2010 looked like. Let's hope 2010 looks better than 2009.

Thursday, January 7, 2010

Day 7

7-final

My dad loved westerns, black licorice, honesty, hard work, extra starch on his shirts, growing giant pumpkins and beautiful roses, Diet Coke, golfing, Hawaii, and black fleece sweat pants. With pockets.

Every Christmas his wish list would include the same fleece sweat pants. Black. With pockets. You see, my dad was the CEO and President of a major pharmaceutical company as well as a board member and Chair of several other companies. His career involved hard work, stress, travel, lecturing, writing, managing, developing, researching, and more hard work. When he left for the office every morning, after eating his daily banana and glass of skim milk, he walked out the door wearing a suit, a stiffly starched dress shirt, and a pair of Johnston and Murphy loafers.

He loved spending his weekends relaxing at home in the yard, moving rocks around the stream bed, cleaning the pool, walking around town with my mom and entertaining family. In his sweats. Black. Fleece. With pockets.

When he passed away in 2005, he had accumulated an impressive collection of business attire. Suits, ties, shoes, and stiffly starched shirts. There were even a few pairs of worn cowboy boots and hats. But what reigned supreme in his closet was sweats. Black. Fleece. With pockets. My wise mother tucked all this fleece away with a project in mind.

She spent this past year, planning, cutting, pinning, trimming, and quilting each of us daughters our very own quilt made from my dad's black fleece sweats. With pockets. Inside each pocket was tucked a few momentos belonging to my dad. Business cards with his signature, a name badge from a convention, and one of his personalized golf tees.

It's my favorite Christmas gift ever. I miss my dad and look forward to our reunion one day. Until then, I will always feel the love of my dad as I wrap his quilt around me. The one made of his fleece. Black. With pockets.

22 comments:

Lisa January 7, 2010 at 5:31 PM  

Very very nice!

Laurie January 7, 2010 at 6:13 PM  

Okay, Wendy, you made me tear up!!! What a wonderful gift your mom has given you! She must be an amazing lady.

Melissa January 7, 2010 at 6:23 PM  

Wow, what a great story to go along with your photo. And what a wonderful way to keep the spirit of your dad alive!

Anonymous January 7, 2010 at 6:59 PM  

Goodness Wendy, what a beautiful story and gorgeous.perfect.aweseom. quilt. How special is that! TFS! Totally made my eyeballs sweat. :)

Courtney January 7, 2010 at 7:00 PM  

Beautiful quilt! What a great idea! Great pictures! Clever idea to roll the quilt. I always have a hard time taking pictures of my quilts.

Unknown January 7, 2010 at 8:19 PM  

That is just amazing!!! The quilt absolutely beautiful..I'm sure it will help give you peace on those rough days....((hugs))

Marla January 7, 2010 at 8:23 PM  

Oh my. That just made me cry. How awesome!

Melissa Weber January 7, 2010 at 9:57 PM  

What an amazing, thoughtful treasure. Its beautiful.

merydwen January 7, 2010 at 10:19 PM  

Wow... What a gift! Just beautiful.

Kat January 7, 2010 at 10:36 PM  

What an amazing gift.

Erin Gizzie January 8, 2010 at 4:11 AM  

Cryinggg....love it!

Stacey January 8, 2010 at 5:32 AM  

This is a wonderful post Wendy! The quilt is amazing and especially the story behind it.

Carolyn Benik January 8, 2010 at 7:22 AM  

That is such a wonderful post, and an amazing quilt! The whole thing makes me miss my own dad. Thank you so much for sharing!!!

Allie January 8, 2010 at 7:51 AM  

you made me tear up, what a beautiful post!

Anonymous January 8, 2010 at 7:59 AM  

Wow! That's amazing and made me tear up too. Love that!

honeysuckle January 8, 2010 at 1:57 PM  

Wendy,
I knew your dad and I just loved reading the sweet post that you added today. Yes your mother is very wise and what a wonderful gift. We lost a son in 2006 and two years ago I made a quilt with his T-shirt for his son that graduated that year. This year I will be making one for his daughter out of his dress shirts. Love, Brenda Swartz

AimeeJ January 8, 2010 at 2:11 PM  

Oh my, that is wonderful!

SarahCate January 8, 2010 at 9:32 PM  

O what a beautiful & sweet gift from your mother!!

breeze January 10, 2010 at 7:19 AM  

Wow, that is such an amazing gift. Thank you for sharing such a sweet story and gift. <3

Anonymous January 10, 2010 at 3:43 PM  

What a beautiful story. Love your photography and blog. Hope you don't mind if I pop in every now and again. I am a fellow 365-er. Always looking for inspiration. I'm gonna need it to keep goin with this project till the end! Best of luck to you as well. Feel free to visit my blog: www.365byjen.com

momto5minnies January 13, 2010 at 7:01 PM  

Wow, I don't know how I missed this. I think you can recall that I lost my dad to prostate cancer at a similar time. My dad was a banker with fine suits and strong, sweet cologne. I miss him each day. How special that you have a sweatpant quilt. An awesome gift!

Jodi January 15, 2010 at 10:38 AM  

What an amazing gift. I'm totally teared up now, thanks!

Post a Comment

Followers

Copyright

All images published on this blog are the property of Wendy VonSosen and are protected under federal copyright laws.

The images may not be reproduced, copied, transmitted or manipulated without the written permission of the photographer.

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP